- Write an essay in which you discuss campaign finance reform and its effect
on the following.
- Interest Groups and PACs
- What effect did the reforms of the 1970s have on these?
- What effect is the current reform legislation likely to have?
- Political Parties
- Does it strengthen or weaken them?
- Does it affect one party more than another?
- Public Opinion
- Participation in the Political Process
- Voting and Voter Turnout
- What effect have all of these things had on campaign finance reform?
Your essay should begin with the history and background of reform and its
effects. What brought us to where we are today? Analyze the
proposed legislation and its probable effects.
- Use the following information, The
Power Game, and your textbook
to write your essay.
Historical Background for Campaign
Administering and Enforcing the
Key Issues Before the FEC
Debate Over Reform
Federal Election Commission
Corrupt Practices Act of 1925
State Campaign Finance
in a Nutshell
Washington Post on Campaign
This Nation on Campaign
(Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2001)
Tests Likely For Shays-Meehan